Sony subwoofer and soundbar packages are the best you’ll find. They are affordable and natively paired, so you don’t have to do any additional work to get them up and running. Most pair right out of the box. However, sometimes there are problems with connecting these sets.
Out of the many Sony subwoofer packages I’ve purchased over the years, only one has had this problem. However, it can be frustrating. Below, I’ll let you know how you can fix the problem when your Sony subwoofer is not connecting (does not connect) to the soundbar.
Why is My Sony Subwoofer Not Connecting to My Soundbar?
There may be a few reasons that your Sony subwoofer and soundbar aren’t connecting. First, make sure that all the cords are properly plugged in. Even though your subwoofer may be wireless, it still needs to be plugged into a wall outlet for power.
Check to see that these cords are plugged in and press the ‘Power’ button on your subwoofer. This should turn the subwoofer on. If the subwoofer doesn’t come up (and no light or indicator shines from anywhere on the unit), the unit or the cord may be defective. Try another power cord first.
If your subwoofer turns on but doesn’t pair with your soundbar, you may need to reset the system.
Resetting your Sony subwoofer and soundbar is not a difficult process, but it changes slightly for each model. Below, we’ll look at a few popular models and the method for resetting them. Make sure to follow these steps exactly.
If your model is not listed below, you can find the reset method in your model’s user manual.
Sony HT-CT390 Subwoofer Not Connecting to Soundbar
The Sony HT-CT390 bundle offers 2.1 surround sound. The subwoofer is compact and can work either upright or horizontally, depending on your setup. You can also easily mount the soundbar to the wall under your TV.
When your Sony HT-CT390 subwoofer isn’t connecting to your soundbar, you may have to reset the sound system. To reset the system, take the following steps:
- Make sure that both the soundbar and the subwoofer are turned on. To turn them on, press the power buttons.
- On the soundbar, press and hold the power button. At the same time, press the ‘Input Selector’ button and the ‘Volume –‘ button. The system will power down.
- Restart the system using the power buttons on the soundbar and the subwoofer.
- The default settings should be restored, and your Sony HT-CT390 subwoofer should connect to your soundbar.
Sony HT-S350 Subwoofer Not Connecting to Soundbar
Sony’s HT-350 is an improvement on the older subwoofer-soundbar combos. It offers cinematic audio, a higher output, and front-leading sound that feels like it’s coming from everywhere. It’s like being in a movie theatre, but you’re cozy in your living room.
If your Sony HT-S350 subwoofer is not connecting to the soundbar, resetting the system may solve the issue. Here is how to reset this soundbar-subwoofer combo:
- Turn on your soundbar and subwoofer.
- Press and hold the ‘- (volume)’ and power button on the soundbar. Keep holding them for more than 5 seconds.
- All indicators located on the bar will flash. After the third flash, the system should turn off.
- Once the subwoofer and soundbar are both off, disconnect the power cord. Keep the system unplugged for about 5 seconds.
- Then, reconnect the AC power cord. Press the power button to turn the soundbar and subwoofer back on.
- After this, your default settings should be restored. These are the settings that are outlined in the settings menu.
Sony HT-CT290 Subwoofer Not Connecting to Soundbar
The Sony HT-CT290 model includes a USB port, so you can play music from HDDs and flash drives. The rich sound from this system will make your movies and music come alive.
But when your Sony HT-CT290 subwoofer is not connecting to the soundbar, it can be frustrating. However, resetting the system may be the issue. To reset the HT-CT290 and reconnect the soundbar and subwoofer, follow these steps:
- Turn the subwoofer and the soundbar on.
- Using the touch keys on the soundbar, hold down ‘- (volume down)’ and the power button. Keep holding them for five seconds.
- After five seconds, release the buttons and disconnect the power cable.
- Keep it disconnected for a few seconds.
- Reconnect the power cable and press the power button.
- Press the ‘LINK’ button on the back of the subwoofer.
- Wait until the power indicator is flashing orange, then hold down the ‘CLEAR AUDIO+’ button for 5 seconds.
- The subwoofer’s indicator light should be solid orange. If this is the case, the system has reset and the soundbar and subwoofer should connect.
Sony HT-CT380 Subwoofer Not Connecting to Soundbar
The Sony HT-CT380 subwoofer and soundbar combination include a digital amplifier, ClearAudio+ enhancement technology, and a Dolby TrueHD. Together, these features give you cinema-quality sound and multiple HDMI ports for all your external devices.
But when your Sony HT-CT380 subwoofer is not connecting to your soundbar, you might be tempted to just purchase a new one. Before you do that, try resetting the soundbar. Take the following steps to do so:
- Make sure that the system is turned on by pressing the power button.
- Press the ‘MENU’ button once.
- From the menu, select the ‘SYSTEM’ option by using the arrow buttons and pressing the ‘ENTER’ button when the right option is selected.
- On the next menu, choose the ‘SYS. RST’ option using the same method.
- Wait for ‘START’ to appear on the soundbar’s display system. Now, press ‘ENTER’.
- The display will now say ‘RESET’. When it disappears, unplug the power cord.
- Leave it unplugged for a few seconds.
- Plug the power cord back into the soundbar. Press the power button.
- Now you can link the soundbar to the subwoofer. Take the following steps:
a. Press the ‘MENU’ button.
b. Use the arrow buttons to choose ‘WS’, and then press ‘ENTER’.
c. Use the arrow buttons to choose ‘LINK’. Press ‘ENTER’.
d. When ‘START’ shows up on the soundbar’s display, press ‘ENTER’.
e. The display will say ‘SEARCH’ instead, indicating that it is searching for the subwoofer.
f. Quickly press ‘LINK’ on the back of the subwoofer. The subwoofer indicator light should turn green, and ‘OK’ will appear on the soundbar’s display.
g. Press ‘MENU’ to get out of the menu screen. Now, your subwoofer and soundbar should be reset and ready to work together again.
Sony HT-CT790 Subwoofer Not Connecting to Soundbar
The Sony HT-CT790 speaker and subwoofer combination is sleek, modern, and will fit right into your living room. It has 330 watts of power, perfect for all your movies and music.
But when your Sony HT-CT790 subwoofer and soundbar are not connecting, you won’t be able to enjoy any of it. Thankfully, resetting the system can solve these issues. To reset the system, take the following steps:
- Turn the system on.
- Press ‘HOME’, which will display the menu on the TV screen.
- Choose the ‘SETUP’ option from this menu. It should have a toolbox icon next to it.
- From the next menu, choose ‘RESETTING’, and then ‘RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULT SETTINGS’.
- Select what you want to restart. This might be ‘BLUETOOTH’ or ‘WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY’.
- Once selected, press ‘START’.
- This action will most likely disrupt the connection to your subwoofer. Now, you’ll have to link the devices again. To do that, take the following steps:
a. Press ‘HOME’ to make the home menu appear. Then, choose ‘SETUP’.
b. Select ‘SYSTEM SETTINGS’.
c. Choose ‘WIRELESS SUBWOOFER CONNECTION’, and then select ‘LINK’.
d. Now, go to the subwoofer. Press the button labeled as ‘LINK’ on the back of the subwoofer within one minute. The power indicator should blink green.
e. Select ‘START’ on your TV.
f. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete linking the subwoofer and the soundbar.
Sony HT-CT800 Subwoofer Not Connecting to Soundbar
Sony’s HT-CT800 model sound system offers HDR and 4k quality support, as well as integration with your Google Home devices and Chromecast. This attractive set will make your favorite media sound great!
If your Sony HT-CT800 subwoofer isn’t connecting to the soundbar, you may want to try resetting it. This can fix a host of problems that may be causing your connectivity issues. Resetting the system is simple. Just follow these steps:
- Make sure that the system is turned on.
- Select ‘HOME’ > ‘SETUP’ > ‘RESETTING’ > ‘RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULT SETTINGS’.
- Select what you want to reset. It should be labeled as ‘WIRELESS’ or ‘CONNECTION TO SUBWOOFER’.
- Select ‘START’.
- If you cannot use this method, you can reset the system by pressing and holding the power and ‘VOL –‘ buttons for five seconds.
- After a successful reset, you must re-link your subwoofer and soundbar. Take the following steps to relink the system:
a. Select ‘HOME’ > ‘SETUP’ > ‘SYSTEM SETTINGS’ > ‘WIRELESS SUBWOOFER CONNECTION’.
b. Press ‘LINK’ on the back of the subwoofer. The indicator light on the subwoofer should blink green.
c. Within one minute, select ‘START’ on your TV.
d. Complete the link by following the on-screen messages until the subwoofer and soundbar are connected again.
If your Sony subwoofer will not connect to the soundbar included in the package, don’t buy a new one. The issue may be fixed with a simple reset of the system. This should only take a few seconds. If your model isn’t listed above, remember that you can find information about resetting your subwoofer and soundbar in your product manual.