Are you looking to get started with car audio, but you don’t want to spend a lot to get started? After years looking through all of the best car subwoofer options, the Planet Audio AC10D set seems to fit both of these needs. They are budget subwoofers that are inexpensive on their own, but you get an even bigger discount when you buy two of them at the same time.
The bass from these subwoofers is passable, but it works for a beginner. There are not very many dual-sub setups that give you this much financial wiggle room, either. You can work on other parts of your setup while you enjoy these speakers, and then choose how you want to proceed from there.
In this Planet Audio AC10D review, we will look at some of the best features that these subwoofers offer, as well as some of the drawbacks to purchasing them. Let’s get started on your journey to find the best 10-inch subwoofer.
Planet Audio AC10D
- CONE: Made from Polypropylene, the AC10D 10-inch car subwoofer provides a resilient and durable material that can offer great sound with the advantage of long-lasting subwoofers
- SURROUND: Foam is very flexible, providing the subwoofer with higher efficiency. This also translates to better excursion. (How far the cone of a speaker linearly travels from its resting position)
- VOICE COIL: Our voice coils are able to withstand high temperatures yet maintain its strength and fatigue properties. making our voice coils with this material, gives our speakers the advantage of longer play times with lower weights
- STAMPED BASKET: The stamped basket offers a strong and rigid platform allowing the listener to hear clean and clear music output
- SPECIFICATIONS: Resonant frequency - 39 Hz, Sensitivity SPL (1W/1m) - 87 Db, Depth 11” x Width 11” x Height 5.3”
This particular set comes with two Plant Audio AC10D Subwoofers. For the price, you get a set of two subwoofers that you can wire together for great results. These subs hit hard, and they are great for beginner enthusiasts who don’t have a lot of extra funds to spend.
The company that makes these subs, Planet Audio, has been around since 1997. The goal for their company was always to produce high-quality car audio accessories on a budget. They want to make their products appealing and competitive on the market without being too expensive. With the Planet Audio AC10D set, they’ve done just that.
The fact that you get two subs is a great way to get started. You can wire them together however you like, and playing around with the set-up can be beneficial. Included with the subs are plans for sealed and ported enclosures, but I’ll talk more about that in a moment.
Overall, these are great budget subs that can handle a lot of power. With the versatile wiring system and sleek, impressive look, they will be a great starting project.
What We Liked
- Two subwoofers at a discount. While these aren’t the best 10-inch subwoofers you could purchase, they are a great value for the price.
- Versatile wiring. You can wire these subs together however you see fit because they have the ability to fit a number of different setups, even up to 8-Ohm if you have the right components.
- Foam Surround. The foam surround allows for deeper bass. The polypropylene cone isn’t as restricted in its movement as it would be with rubber surrounds.
- Dual Voice Coils. I’ll talk more about these in a moment, but for now, just know that this is a great thing. This is part of the reason that the wiring on these subs is so versatile.
- Can be used in sealed or ported enclosures. Either type of enclosure will allow these subs to work at their peak. I’ll walk you through ported or sealed enclosure options in just a moment.
- Huge power handling. These subs are powerful. Together, they can handle more than most other subwoofers at this price point. With 750 RMS watts for continuous use and 1500 max watts, these subs can handle a lot of bass.
- Low bass. When these subwoofers kick in, you’ll get a nice deep bass for all of your music.
- Heavy magnets. Larger, heavier magnets usually mean that a subwoofer is going to sound better. This allows them to ‘flex’ more to the beat of your music. The size and weight of the magnet is generally a personal preference.
What We Didn’t Like
- You need a lot of power. To get these two subs to work at peak performance, you’re going to need a lot of power. If your car isn’t wired right or the amp that you’re using doesn’t provide enough power, they aren’t going to work as well as they could.
- No mid-tones. These subs have a lot of bass, but they don’t have any mid-tones. The bass is very low, but the overall effect isn’t as deep as it could be if there were any mid-tones present.
- Quality is somewhat lacking. These are discount subwoofers, and as such, they aren’t going to put out the same sound or have the same effect as subwoofers that cost more. Keep in mind that you’re getting what you pay for.
Feature #1: Dual Voice Coils
Dual voice coils allow you to wire your subwoofers in any number of configurations. Using dual voice coils, you can wire several subwoofers together to help create the kinds of sounds that will rattle your entire car.
Dual voice coils are also beneficial for your amps and may allow you to use the power from your amp most efficiently.
How does this help you? It basically means that subs with dual voice coils like the Planet Audio AC10D models, can fit into more configurations and put out more power with the right setup. If you want versatile subwoofers that allow you to change it up, these are perfect.
Feature #2: Ported or Sealed Enclosure
One of the great things about the Planet Audio AC10D subwoofers is that you can use them in either ported enclosures or sealed enclosures. Sealed enclosures are smaller, and given the right specifications, can fit into sedans and cars with less space.
On the other hand, ported enclosure allows for greater bass, giving you more of the ‘thump’ that you want. Each type of enclosure requires a specific configuration, so make sure you choose the one that closely fits your equipment.
Here are the suggested enclosure dimensions for each type of enclosure.
Ported: 24” L x 16” W x 14” H
Sealed: 18” L x 12” W x 12” H
Keep in mind that each of these enclosures is for a single subwoofer. For two, you’ll have to make or purchase separate enclosures, or engineer one where you can mount both subs.
Planet Audio AC10d Specifications
|Power Handling||750 RMS Watts
1500 Max Watts
|Warranty||1 Year Warranty (Extended warranty available)|
What the Customers Are Saying
After looking at all of the customer reviews on various retail platforms, it seems that customers are pleased overall. They love the output from the Planet Audio AC10D subwoofers. They report low bass and great sound across the board. Customers are happy that they can wire these subs down to 2 Ohms or even up to 8 Ohms.
However, the consensus seems to be “you get what you pay for”. That means that they aren’t going to sound like high-quality expensive subs, but they will get the job done. The bass is deep but doesn’t have any mid-tones, so the sound isn’t as rich as it could be.
In conclusion, I can definitely recommend the Planet Audio AC10D subwoofers. For beginners, this is a great start for a powerful setup. They bring a lot of power handling to the table, and they can be wired any way that you need to.
For someone that wants great bass and doesn’t care about the rest, these can be great subwoofers. If you just want to make your car rock to your music, these can be great subs. I wouldn’t recommend them to hardcore car audio enthusiasts, but for someone who is just getting started or who don’t want to get into the intricacies of hardware and other components, these can be perfect.
These subwoofers aren’t for everyone. Car audio veterans or someone with a little more money to spend would be better off looking for a subwoofer like the Rockford Fosgate p3d4-10 sub. It’s more expensive, but you’re getting a higher quality sub.