Sometimes, your car audio system isn’t about rattling your windows and showing off your favorite music. Sometimes, it’s more about deep, clear beats that resonate deep in your chest and make your stomach flop.
In this JL Audio 10W0V3-4 review, I’ll tell you how this subwoofer gives you that experience. I’ve taken a look at and have played with quite a few of the best 10-inch subwoofers, and JL Audio 10 inch subwoofers still stand out to me. Their entire line is great for entry-level car audio.
The 10W0V3-4 could be considered a JL Audio 10 inch Shallow Mount subwoofer because it is more compact than most in its class. That’s just the beginning when it comes to this subwoofer’s versatility, and it’s one of the reasons I think it’s leading the charge in modern car audio systems.
Let’s get started with a detailed look at this 10” subwoofer from JL Audio.
- Clean sound
- Elevated frame cooling
- Small mounting depth
JL Audio 10W0V3-4 10” Subwoofer
The JL Audio 10W0V3-4 model is a 10” subwoofer that can put out 300 RMS watts and 600 max watts. The power handling doesn’t start at 300, though. The sweet spot for power handling is between 75 and 300 watts for this subwoofer. It can be used in either a sealed or ported enclosure, so you can use it, however, your setup demands.
JL Audio’s W0 Series is a little more powerful than the W7-W1 Series subwoofers. It can handle more power than most of the 10” subwoofers in their line. It’s a beefy sub that can handle anything you throw at it, though it is still beaten by JL Audio’s WX series. The WX series is the competitive line, and the W0’s come in right underneath for price and power.
For years, JL Audio has been a trusted brand in the car audio with a great reputation. If you’ve ever been in the market for a subwoofer, speaker system, or enclosure, I’m sure that you’ve heard of JL Audio. With a ton of loyal customers and great reviews across the board, JL Audio is a trustworthy company that always delivers quality.
In the case of their 10W0V3-4 model, they’ve included some of their best cooling technologies as well as sound quality boosters. Later, I’ll go over some of the features that make the JL Audio 10W0V3-4 stand out.
What We Liked
- Clean sound. The technological advances that JL Audio subwoofers provide lead to cleaner, tighter bass with little to no distortion.
- Elevated Frame Cooling. I’ll dive into this technology in a moment. This feature makes this amp more durable and allows it to take on higher power handling levels without overheating.
- DMA Technology. JL Audio’s uniquely-engineered Dynamic Motor Analysis gives the JL Audio 10W0V3-4 a solid construction based on how the motor itself behaves during use. I’ll go into detail about this particular technology a bit later.
- This subwoofer can be used in either a sealed enclosure or a ported one. The user manual provides you with specific details about how to make this subwoofer work best with either type of enclosure.
- It’s going to last. Unlike some other subs, the cone on the JL Audio 10W0V3-4 is made of mineral-filled polypropylene material. This helps to reduce the normal wear and tear that comes with using the subwoofer.
- Small mounting depth. Compared to some of the other 10-inch subs on the market, you could consider this subwoofer to be a shallow mount model. It’s powerful without being too bulky.
- Large voice coil. Larger voice coils have more surface areas and can get rid of heat faster. That means that the 2-inch coil on this subwoofer can put out a lot of deep bass. And it can do it without overheating. This larger coil works well with the Elevated Frame Cooling design.
- Foam surrounds. The material on the surround of your subwoofer can determine sound quality. It also doesn’t influence the way your subwoofer’s cone moves. The result is better sound, a lower price, and a sub that will last longer.
- The price. The JL Audio 10W0V3-4 has a great price for the quality.
- Great excursion. Excursion refers to how much movement the cone inside of a speaker is capable of. With more room for greater excursion, your speakers are able to produce deeper bass overall.
What We Didn’t Like
- No grill. This subwoofer doesn’t come with a grill. It can be purchased separately from the manufacturer’s website.
- Not extremely powerful. Compared to other ten inch subs, the JL Audio 10W0V3-4 puts out less power and delivers bass that doesn’t hit quite as hard as more expensive 10-inch subwoofers.
- Requires a powerful amp. Because of the power handling, you’re going to need a big amp to power the JL Audio 10W0V3-4. If you have limited space in your car, finding an amp that provides enough power and fits just right may be a challenge.
Elevated Frame Cooling
Overheating has always been a problem in subwoofers, no matter what brand you choose or how you mount it. That isn’t the case with the JL Audio 10W0V3-4, however. The use of Elevated Frame Cooling will eliminate any worries you have about the subwoofer getting too hot.
Basically, this technology introduces airflow to the subwoofer. The spider itself pumps air through a narrow, focused path between the frame and the top-plate. This means that air is hitting the voice coil directly.
Most other subwoofers only vent their voice coils. While this does allow the heat to escape, the voice coil itself isn’t exposed to air. The introduction of this technology has put JL Audio ahead of the pack.
But what does this mean for you? In short, your subwoofer won’t get hot under an increased load. Your system will be less compressed, and the top-plate will also be exposed to airflow. You can use your subwoofer for long periods of time without worrying about overheating it.
This also means that your subwoofer will be more durable over time. The absence of heat is going to increase the lifespan of your sub considerably, even under higher power handling demands.
Dynamic Motor Analysis
The DMA or Dynamic Motor Analysis system was developed by JL Audio for their subwoofers specifically. This entire system works together to help predict how the circuits and cone within the speakers and subwoofers are going to work while they’re in use under a heavy power load.
In short, this means that JL Audio has designed their subwoofers with the help of predictive technology. The way that they are constructed will help them put out the best quality sound and help the bass remain clean and clear.
What does this do for you? This means that the JL Audio 10W0V3-4 is designed to behave at its peak performance without distortion. The sound quality is not only true to your music, but it’s clear and clean. Some other subwoofers can’t keep up.
The JL Audio 10W0V3-4 is extremely versatile. You can use either a ported enclosure or a sealed one for this subwoofer, though you might get slightly different results. I appreciate the ability to use this subwoofer in different setups. Here are the specifications from the manufacturer on each type of enclosure.
|Type of Enclosure||Volume||External Dimensions|
|Sealed||0.65 cu ft.||18” x 11” x 9”|
|Ported||1.125 cu ft.||23” x 12” x 13.625”|
If you need either type of enclosure for this subwoofer, the user manual has more detailed information on the recommendations you should stick to.
|Power Handling||300 watts RMS
600 watts Max
|Mounting Depth||4.90” (124mm)|
|Displacement||0.034 cu. Ft.|
|Sound Pressure Level||84.07 dB|
What the Customers Are Saying
After reading and analyzing all of the customer reviews from different online retail sites, I can tell you that customers are enjoying their JL Audio 10W0V3-4 subwoofer. For the most part, customers are happy with the great sound quality and ease of use, as well as the price.
Some customers report that this speaker isn’t lasting as long as they would like. In some cases, the subwoofer fizzles out, but in most it just stops working suddenly. Some customers even report that their speaker arrives broken, but those cases are rare. There also seem to be some issues with shipping, as the subwoofer arrives later than some customers expect.
Some customers have also stated that the rubber sealing rings may need to be replaced during the subwoofer’s life, which is not the case with some other models.
Here is a short, professional review of JL Audio’s 10W0V3-4.
The JL Audio 10W0V3-4 is a great entry-level subwoofer at a price that guarantees power. If you are just getting started in the car audio game and want a subwoofer that’s going to make your beats sound amazing, choose this subwoofer.
You are getting great quality for the price, as some similar 10” subs are either more expensive or lack the power that you get with JL Audio. The brand is well-known and has a great reputation. The technological features that they’ve packed into this subwoofer (such as the Elevated Frame Cooling system) really make it stand out among its peers.
I would definitely recommend the JL Audio 10W0V3-4 to beginners, or for someone who wants a modest setup that won’t break the bank. It provides the deep, clear bass that you’re looking for even if it doesn’t hit quite as hard.
- Clean sound
- Elevated frame cooling
- Small mounting depth
This subwoofer isn’t going to be the perfect match for all users or setups. If you want hard-hitting, professional-sounding bass out of a 10” subwoofer, go for the Rockford Fosgate instead.
If you want to bump the bass on a budget, I would recommend the Skar Audio VD-10 D4 10 inch. You can also take a look at my in-depth review of the best 10-inch subwoofers here.