The LG Soundbar is great for improving your sound systems at an affordable cost with an easy setup.
But all setups can become difficult at the drop of a hat.
Here we’ll cover the common setups for how to connect your LG Soundbar to a TV through the various connection methods.
How To Connect LG Soundbar To TV With HDMI
HDMI often provides the best results. It’s a fast response with minimal loss of quality. If you don’t have one, you can purchase here for a great price.
Setting it up is pretty easy too, but there are some steps you may not be aware of.
Read through these and follow them closely:
- Connect the HDMI ARC cable from the HDMI OUT port on the back of the LG Soundbar to the HDMI port on your TV.
- Change the input or function on your Soundbar to the proper HDMI option (if needed).
- Go into your TV’s sound menu and find the settings or options. Make sure HDMI is selected.
How To Connect LG Soundbar To TV with Wireless/Wifi
Not every Soundbar has a wireless direct connection option, but some do! Look up your specific model and read the instructions to find out if it does.
If it does, you then need to make sure your TV has the ability to connect over Wifi as well.
Many do Bluetooth instead, which is another option we’ll cover below.
If both do, here are the common steps to follow:
- On your Soundbar, go to Sound OUT in the menu and change the option selected to SoundSync (Wireless).
- It will search for an available device. Select your TV.
- Switch your sound input method to LG TV.
- Double-check your TV’s sound settings are set to the LG Soundbar and not the normal speakers.
How To Connect LG Soundbar To TV with Bluetooth
Bluetooth is standard on almost all technological devices at this point in the world.
LG Soundbars come standard with this as well.
It’s easy to use and has solid results.
But there is a chance the service is spotty if the Soundbar is far from the TV or if there are many Bluetooth devices and connections nearby.
If you choose to connect via Bluetooth, here’s what you do:
- Turn on your Soundbar and press the function button until you see Bluetooth or B.T.
- The Bluetooth light and button should start flashing. You may need to hold the button on some models.
- Turn on your TV, go to Settings → Advanced Settings → Sound Out.
- Choose LG Sound Sync Bluetooth.
- Choose the correct device.
- You’re connected!
How To Connect LG Soundbar To TV With Optical Cable
Optical connections are fairly standard on most TVs. While they don’t offer the quality of HDMI, they are great and easy choices. You can find a good optical cable here.
The steps follow much the same format as the ones above, but we’ll cover it for you anyway:
- Select the proper function on your LG Soundbar.
- Connect the optical audio OUT on your TV to the LG Soundbar’s Optical IN.
- Go to your TV settings, Sound settings, and choose Optical OUT or the LG Soundbar (if available).
- It is now connected!
How To Connect LG Soundbar To TV Without Optical Cable
Without an optical cable, you can’t use the Optical connection option.
If your TV doesn’t have HDMI, Bluetooth, USB, or Wireless options and you don’t have an optical cable for whatever reason, they can’t connect.
However, optical cables are pretty standard and cheap. Head to your local tech store and get one.
If your TV doesn’t have the option or the optical port is already in use, consider buying a splitter or adapter to make it work.
This all depends on your exact type of television.
If you don’t know how to fix it yourself, here’s what I’d recommend:
- Take pictures and videos of the connections and ports on your TV.
- Write down the brand and model of your television.
- Go to Best Buy or some other tech store and ask for help.
- Call LG for advice.
How To Connect LG Soundbar To TV With USB
USB ports on a Soundbar aren’t common, and they’re not really for audio.
Many times, your TV won’t even have the right port or be able to read it.
You can try using these steps:
- Plug in the USB to both the TV and the Soundbar.
- Select the right function on the Soundbar.
- Select the right sound setting on your TV.
USB is more for data than just audio. Though it may seem like it would work, HDMI, Bluetooth, Wireless, and Optical connections are much better.
The USB on the Soundbar is more data, possibly firmware updates.
Now let’s see how this is done with more specific TV brands.
A lot of the steps from above will work in all situations for these TVs listed here.
But there is enough of a difference that it’s worth it to mention them on their own.
How To Connect LG Soundbar To Samsung TV
Samsung TVs are among the easiest to connect a Soundbar to. The only thing you may have to watch for is the Sound Settings. Use a method described above matching your connection option, and then be sure to select the proper setting in your Samsung TV menu.
How To Connect LG Soundbar To Vizio TV
Like the Samsung TV option, connecting LG Soundbar to Vizio TV is pretty easy, with the exception of finding the right settings.
In this regard, it’s even tougher than Samsung.
Follow the general steps to connect your Soundbar to your VIZIO TV based on your preferred method.
Make sure the Soundbar has the proper function selected.
Then, go to this menu:
- CEC Settings
- Audio Control
Enable, allow, and select the LG system or proper channel. This should make your LG Soundbar work on a VIZIO TV.
How To Connect LG Soundbar To Roku TV
Roku’s connection options are largely dependent on your Roku Model and Soundbar model.
Look for a ROKU TV READY certification on your Soundbar, or look up the model to see if it will connect.
If it says it’s good, it’s simply a matter of connecting the HDMI port to the Roku.
However, it needs to have an HDMI eARC or HDMI ARC port for this to work.
If your Roku doesn’t have this, it won’t connect.
Once it’s plugged in, turn your Roku on. The system will automatically guide you through the rest of the setup process.
How To Connect LG Soundbar To Roku TV With Optical Cable
For use with an optical cable, such as for surround sound, there are more steps to take.
Few ROKUs have optical ports. What you may need to do is to connect the Soundbar to the TV through the optical cable instead.
How To Connect LG Soundbar To Sony TV Via Bluetooth
When connecting your LG Soundbar to a Sony TV via Bluetooth, you follow similar steps mentioned above.
But for the sake of clarity, let’s walk through the steps again, specifically:
- Turn on your Soundbar and Sony TV.
- On the Soundbar, select function until Bluetooth or BT is up. Wait for the lights to flash. You may need to hold a Bluetooth button or select Pair.
- On your TV remote, select HOME or Menu.
- Navigate to SETTINGS → Bluetooth Settings → Add Device.
- Select the LG device. Pair the devices.
Note: Bluetooth has trouble when there are multiple connections and Bluetooth-enabled devices nearby. This is called Bluetooth traffic.
If it should work but doesn’t, first eliminate as much of this traffic as possible and try again.