Skullcandy offers great headphones, and are known for their deep bassy attributes. It can be easy to get attached to your Skullcandy headphones, especially because they are usually in a great price range for their quality.
Similarly, the Sony PlayStation 4 offers a great home gaming experience. They offer beloved exclusive games. During the PS4’s life cycle (before the release of the PS5), it was the most popular home gaming console.
I’ve spent a lot of time with both of these brands. My PS4 is very well-loved, and I’ve replaced more than one pair of Skullcandy headphones. But can they work together? The answer is a little more complicated than you’d think.
Below, we’ll look at how to connect your Skullcandy headphones to your PS4, as well as which models are compatible with Sony’s exclusive Bluetooth version and audio standards.
Can You Use Skullcandy Headphones on PS4?
Skullcandy has a wide variety of headphones and earbuds available at any one time. Not all their products will work with your PS4. Your PS4 controller indeed has a headphone jack, but it uses a slightly different 3.5mm audio jack than some other devices.
As such, you must check which standard your headphones use. The PlayStation 4 uses CTIA standard, the same as most newer smartphones.
CITA vs OMTP Standard
The difference between these audio standards is very small. You may notice that the 3.5mm jack on the end of your headphones has 4 bands. Each of these bands is used to transmit specific information to your device.
In the CTIA standard, the band at the base of the plug is the microphone band. The grounding band is the second one down. CTIA stands for ‘Cellular Telecommunications and Internet Association’.
In the OMTP standard, the band at the base of the plug is the grounding band. The microphone band is the second one down. OMTP stands for ‘Open Mobile Terminal Platform’.
This slight difference can make your headphones incompatible with the PS4.
Wired Skullcandy headphones should work fine, as long as they are recent models. You can always contact Skullcandy and ask which audio standard your pair supports. Skullcandy’s Ink’D+ Wired In-Ear headphones, for example, will work fine with your PS4.
If you have an older pair, they might not work with your PS4. However, you can purchase a CTIA to OMTP converter to get around this problem. These small converter plugs will make just about any pair of headphones with a 3.5mm jack work with the PS4.
The converter is not very expensive. You can find them easily at online retailers, and they just might make your life a little bit easier.
Can You Use Skullcandy Wireless Headphones with PS4?
Just as the PS4 has different audio standards, it has a different version of Bluetooth. Not all wireless headphones will work with the PS4. However, if you can match the Bluetooth version, you can still use wireless headphones with your PS4. Unfortunately, Skullcandy only offers one model of wireless headphones that work with the PS4.
Can You Use Skullcandy Crusher Headphones with PS4?
Only Skullcandy’s Crusher wireless headphones are designed to work with the PS4. If you must have wireless headphones to play your games, you’ll have to choose Skullcandy’s Crusher wireless headphones.
These are great headphones, though. They are designed for gamers, and you’ll be able to hear every sound no matter what game you’re playing. Skullcandy’s signature bass is present here. The 360 model, which was specifically created for gaming, was only available for a limited time. However, modern Skullcandy Crusher headphone models will work with the PS4.
How Do You Connect Skullcandy Headphones to PS4?
Connecting your wired and wireless Skullcandy Headphones to your PlayStation 4 is simple.
- Start with a fully charged PS4 DualShock 4 controller. This is the standard controller that came with your console. Headphones work best with PlayStation-licensed official controllers, so avoid cheaper brands if possible.
- Find the 3.5mm jack on your PS4 controller. The jack is located at the bottom of the controller, between your hands when you’re holding the handles properly. The jack is near the right thumbstick and is labeled with a headset symbol.
- Plug your headphones into the jack using the 3.5mm plug. The fit should be secure.
- The PS4 does not output all sound to your headset automatically. If you want to hear the game audio and possible voice chat sounds, you’ll need to take the following steps:
a. Navigate to your PS4’s settings menu. It’s located next to the power button on the top menu on the home screen.
b. Scroll down and select the ‘Devices’ menu, and then select ‘Audio Devices’.
c. Select the ‘Output Device” option and choose ‘Headset Connected to Controller’.
d. Further down, select the ‘Output to Headphones’ option, and select ‘All Audio’.
How to Connect Skullcandy Crusher to PS4
- Make sure that your PS4 DualShock 4 controller and your Skullcandy Crusher headphones are fully charged before beginning.
- Turn on your PS4.
- On your Skullcandy Crusher headphones, hold the power button for at least 3 seconds to enter pairing mode. A blinking blue light indicates that the Skullcandy Crusher headphones are in pairing mode.
- Go to your Settings menu on your PS4 home page. The settings menu can be accessed to the left of the power button on the upper PS4 menu.
- Choose ‘Devices’ from the Settings menu. Then, choose ‘Bluetooth Devices’.
- After a few seconds of searching, your PS4 should show a list of devices that are ready to pair, as well as devices that are already paired with the console.
- Choose your Skullcandy Crusher headphones from the list of available devices.
- Once paired, the indicator light on your Skullcandy Crusher headphones should turn green. This means that the pairing is successful.
- The PS4 does not output all sounds to your headset automatically. If you’d like to hear audio from your game alongside voice chats, you’ll need to change these options in your Settings menu. Take the following steps:
a. Choose your PS4’s Settings menu from the upper menu on the home screen.
b. Select ‘Devices’, then ‘Audio Devices’.
c. Select ‘Output Device’ and make sure that it lists your Skullcandy Crusher headphones.
d. Further down, select the ‘Output to Headphones’ option, and make sure that it says ‘All Audio.’
Does Skullcandy Bluetooth Work with PS4?
Unfortunately, Skullcandy only makes one pair of wireless headphones that will work with the PS4’s unique Bluetooth version. These are the Skullcandy Crusher headphones. All other Skullcandy wireless Bluetooth headphones will not work with the PlayStation 4.
The PlayStation4 used advanced audio settings throughout its lifecycle. Your favorite games sound great through your headphones, but only if your headphones will work. Thankfully, most wired Skullcandy headphones and a few pairs of wireless Skullcandy headphones are compatible with your PS4.